Monday, August 2, 2010

Primo giorno

Oh Italy. You and your food. Not sure I could live happily without you ;)

Tomatoes, basil, pasta and cheese... seriously, could you want any more than that?  Maybe YOU could... but not this girl :) So tonights dinner was kind of like what I was going to say it was going to be except I remembered my husband doesn't like gnocci with anything other than a cream sauce. And I'm sorry for the high quantity of things, I shop at Sams Club and buy things in bulk... so I didn't use all of this :)

Ingredients make a meal. The pasta is a low carb, high fiber, pasta. Amazing flavor and texture and it's Angel Hair.

After this picture I minced some onions (1/4 cup) and garlic (2 cloves) and sweated them in a large pan. There are two things that bug me about some cooking, entirely too much oil and too much onion is used, no one wants nasty garlic onion breath and a mouth coated in oil.  I used a tsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, vegetables have their own juices, I just needed to use a teeny bit of fat to get them out :)


Sweating the onions and garlic just basically means you cook the onions and garlic over medium low heat and cook them until they are opaque using some salt and fat to draw the juices out.  I then sliced 5 button mushrooms and halved about 2 cups of cherry tomatoes, all the while the water is boiling in a sauce pan getting ready for the pasta.

I added the mushrooms and tomatoes, as well as a tsp each of  Oregano, Thyme, Rosemary, and Basil. 

I put the angel hair in the rapidly boiling water. Since it's angel hair, it doesn't need to boil for more than about five minutes to get to al dente (still a little bit of chew to it).

I cooked all of this until the tomatoes were getting soft and turned the heat down and added the drained pasta to it.  I cubed some fresh mozzarella and turned off the heat and tossed it all together. I then added salt and pepper to taste because I didn't want to make this too salty.  This is the end result:


Start to finish (not including pictures) it took about 20 minutes to make. 

My husband says he would have liked it better if it wasn't made with the cherry tomatoes, because he doesn't like the skin on the tomatoes.  I don't mind it, but thats just a difference between our tastes :)

Today went well, I had rice for breakfast and lunch because my stomach was a little funky from eating a freezer burned cookie at Kroger.  Don't ask. 

I made muffins for the bake sale for this weekend, and I just mostly avoided going outside. It felt like 105 and I'm not kidding!  The heat is insane this summer, no wonder my tomatoes are cooking on the vine! No wonder I have to buy them!!! It's frustrating, but it has to happen, it's just too hot! But another reminder that I am not in control, the Lord is!

Tomorrow, I believe curry in some form is in play. I haven't decided how, but I think it needs to be!

Day one is done. Until tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Looks great! I had a backlog of veggies tonight that went in a stir-fry, and all the fruit went into a cobbler. It's hard to keep up with produce!

    ReplyDelete